Fratello’s is an authentic Italian restaurant located in the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at Newcastle International Airport. Here is head chef Richard Swindell’s recipe for Lombata Di Angelo – pan-seared rump of lamb with a warm salad of broad beans, peas, fregola, mint, rosemary and pan jus
Ingredients (serves two)
3 bone rack of lamb
1 loin of lamb
25g of fregola
1 tbsp of broad beans (shelled)
1 tbsp of peas
5 sun-blush tomatoes
100ml of chicken stock
1 fresh beetroot
1 potato to make fondant potato
1 sprig of rosemary
6 mint leaves
Salt and pepper
* Remove the fat from the lamb and pan fry for six minutes, then rest. This will be medium cooked.
* Peel the potato and dice into large chunks. Roast in a medium-heat oven with chicken stock until cooked. Keep a little of the chicken stock for use later.
* To make the pea puree, blend the tablespoon of peas until smooth, and add a dash of chicken stock. Flavour infuse with two mint leaves and pass through a fine sieve, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
* Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the fregola, boil until soft then drain.
* Chop the leftover mint leaves, rosemary and sun-blush tomatoes, then add to the pan of cooked fregola, seasoning to taste.
* Heat the reduced beef stock and red wine to make a red wine jus.
* Cook the fresh beetroot in the oven and puree, passing through a fine sieve, then seasoning accordingly.
* Boil the broad beans until cooked, keeping al dente.
* Place the cooked potato in the centre of a plate and using the back of a dessert spoon garnish the pea puree around the potato.
* Add a portion of the fregola mix to the plate, just off-centre, and place a handful of broad beans on top.
* Carve the lamb loin and lamb rack into cutlets and present on the plate.
* Finish the dish by drizzling the red wine jus around the plate, then add some spots of beetroot syrup.
Fratello’s Newcastle Airport