January 7, 2021
2020 brought a whole new meaning to the word unprecedented, as the COVID-19 pandemic transformed the very fabric of our lives and communities.
However, despite the many challenges, the region remained resolute, with its famed ‘can-do’ attitude coming to the fore.
This was particularly evident across the region’s business landscape, where companies and organisations supported each other, as well as the national effort to combat coronavirus.
Here at North East Times, we wanted to champion these endeavours and – in the face of COVID-19 causing the cancellation of our annual Impact Awards – have created the Impact List 2020 to celebrate the spirit, drive and innovation of the region’s businesspeople.
We asked figures from across the North East to shine a spotlight on the individuals they believe made a truly dynamic impression on the region last year. Here are their nominations…
– nominated by Sarah Glendinning, regional director at CBI
– nominated by Nigel Emmerson, head of Newcastle office at Womble Bond Dickinson
– nominated by James Kyle, investment director at Rathbones
– nominated by Paul Lancaster, founder and director of Plan Digital
– nominated by Caroline Theobald, chair and co-founder at FIRST
– nominated by Councillor Nick Forbes, leader of Newcastle City Council
– nominated by James Ramsbotham, chief executive of North East England Chamber of Commerce
– nominated by Jamie Hardesty, head of communications and stakeholder engagement at Sunderland Software City
– nominated by Tim Bailey, partner at Xsite Architecture
– nominated by Jessica Williams, chief executive of JustWilliams
– nominated by John McCabe, managing director of Fusion PR Creative
– nominated by Nicki Clark, chief executive of Umi
– nominated by Liz Bromley, chief executive of Newcastle College Group
– nominated by Jamie Driscoll, mayor of the North of Tyne
– nominated by Peter Mallon, managing director of North East Times
– nominated by Mark Larsen, managing director at Accenture Newcastle
– nominated by Ben Houchen, mayor of Tees Valley
– nominated by Jason Wainwright, managing partner at Muckle LLP
– nominated by Charlie Hoult, managing director of HyHubs and chair of Dynamo North East
– nominated by Ellen Thinnesen, chief executive of Education Partnership North East
– nominated by Sir David Bell, vice-chancellor and chief executive of University of Sunderland
– nominated by Ammar Mirza, founder of Asian Business Connexions CIC and chair of IoD North East (North)
– nominated by Andy Preston, mayor of Middlesbrough
– nominated by Laura Hepburn, director of Greenology
– nominated by Graham Robb, owner of Recognition PR
– nominated by Paul McEldon, chief executive of North East BIC
– nominated by Jonathan Lamb, chief executive of Entrepreneurs’ Forum
– nominated by Dr Joanna Berry, associate professor entrepreneurship at Durham University
– nominated by Steven Hugill, editor of North East Times
– nominated by Natasha McDonough, managing director at MMC
Congratulations to all the people nominated in our Impact List 2020! The majority of last year represented an extremely tough time for many businesses and organisations, but with the resilience, innovation and drive shown by those highlighted here – and by many more across the North East – the region is well-placed to succeed when the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic begin to ease.