April 4, 2017
Independent law firm Muckle LLP has scooped a top award for its charity, community and pro bono work at the annual Journal North East Business Awards.
Muckle was the only North East law firm to be shortlisted and was awarded the Heart of the Community Award for the Tyneside and Northumberland region.
It’s the fourth time Muckle has won the award in recognition of its contribution to the overall wellbeing of the community, its environment and general quality of life.
Hugh Welch, senior partner, says: “Through our community work we are privileged to meet so many inspirational people who are either investing almost all their energy in helping others or who are striving to overcome adversity.
“I’m incredibly proud of the many people here at Muckle who also devote a tremendous amount of personal time, expertise and energy to helping some fantastic causes, from scout and sports groups to local mainstream charities and the environment.
“Our business has enjoyed the support of the region for more than 100 years, so it is absolutely right that we do all we can to give back to the community in which we work and live. That is why corporate responsibility is so important to us and why we are so honoured to win this award.”
The award was presented to Muckle by Matt Boyle of Sevcon, who praised the law firm for putting corporate responsibility at the centre of all it does stating that it “exemplified a business that was committed to giving back to the region”.
Muckle’s bid was based on a broad range of corporate responsibility work which includes:
* Charitable fund – one per cent of Muckle’s annual profits is used to make grants to local charities and the firm has donated over £500,000 since the fund began.
* Pro bono – in the last 12 months, Muckle has provided over £70,000 in free legal services to worthy causes and organisations.
* Volunteering – Muckle’s staff are entitled to two days’ paid leave a year to volunteer and over 30 per cent of its people regularly help local causes.
* Inspiring careers programme – working with schools in disadvantaged areas to give young people an opportunity to experience life in a law firm.
* Green team – Muckle constantly evaluates its business practices to make sure it is operating in the most environmentally responsible way.
The grand final of the North East Business Awards takes place on April 27, 2017, at Hardwick Hall Hotel, Sedgefield.
Muckle is a commercial law firm for businesses, based in Time Central, Newcastle upon Tyne, employing 146 people, including 28 partners, with a turnover of £12.1m.