January 2, 2018
2017 has seen Turner & Townsend’s North East team grow to record levels with more than 150 staff now located across both Newcastle and Teesside offices.
Turner & Townsend is one of the largest independent built assets consultancies in the UK and our team – with more than 5000 staff globally – has a single-minded approach and clear desire to provide great outcomes everywhere, every time for our clients.
During 2017, we have invested carefully to build and shape a team that can provide both quality and truly independent advice. Our North East team is delivering some of the region’s largest and most challenging real estate, infrastructure and natural resources projects and programmes. Our belief is that a quality team will always provide excellence when it comes to navigating clients’ complex challenges.
The way in which we operate at Turner & Townsend provides our clients with a full lifecycle service from conception of their programme or project to completion and into operation. Our service model integrates our offer around technology, advisory, health and safety, programme, project and commercial management.
In order to provide a service that is tailored to a client’s needs and drives the best outcomes, we have specialists who have experience on a local, national and global level. Whether it be infrastructure, health, education or defence, our sector specialists work with programmes and project teams to share insight, data, market knowledge and lessons learned with the focus on continuous improvement and betterment of client outcomes.
To complement our sector knowledge, Turner & Townsend also engages with the market across all of our 17 UK offices. Each quarter, we work with the local and national supply chains to look ahead at order book levels, staffing rates, material price fluctuations, lead-in periods and labour shortages. This insight provides our staff with a greater understanding of the markets we operate in so that we can provide advice which is both accurate and relevant.
Our local offices are currently working with clients across the North East, UK and globally on projects such as Sirius, Antarctic Survey, a programme of works with large infrastructure and manufacturing clients, and Innovation Centre at Newcastle University, in addition to delivering major projects with both Durham and Northumbria University and Legal & General’s suite of projects at Science Central.
In the past year, we have seen successful outcomes on a number of projects. Just a few highlights are:
· Innovative and value-adding services resulting in £72.5m savings generated on the Northumbrian Water Programme of works (AMP6) delivering commercial and project management, and programme controls in support of the AMP6 investment programme
· £2m saving on a procured scheme with St John’s College, Durham University, to build a Learning Resource Centre
delivering lead consultant, employer’s agent, cost management and contract services
· DASH, delivering value for a £280,000, award-winning project by ADP and Robertson Special Works England; Infrastructure Project of the Year at the NE CENE 2017 Awards, Turner & Townsend delivered project and cost management services
· c800 student accommodation beds delivered on programme in Durham with Ernest Place and in Newcastle with The Shield
We have been delighted to be acknowledged by our peers for shaping the industry, leading to several local and national awards for the team. These include:
· Zoe King, winner of the RICS Young Surveyor of the Year
· Eve Wilson, Highly Commended Young Achiever of the Year, G4C
· Ben Davison, Highly Commended New Professional of the Year, G4C
In addition, Alex Prinn, Zoe King and Craig Rafferty have all become professionally-qualified members of RICS.
All-in-all, both the team and the business have had a fantastic year and are very much looking forward to continued focus on providing our clients with excellent service in 2018.