Recipe of the Month: Classic Cassoulet
19th October 2015
A hearty casserole of white beans, confit duck, smoked Toulouse sausage and pork belly – from Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
- 1 tin haricot blanc
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 l white wine
- 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes (drained)
- 4 carrots
- 1 leek
- 4 onions
- 4 celery sticks
- 1 bulb garlic
- 100g rosemary and thyme
- 1.5 l beef stock
- 4 confit duck legs (cut into two)
- 2 portions cooked pork belly, skin off
- 4 Toulouse sausage (poached and portioned into two)
- 200g herb breadcrumb and truffle salt
- Sweat off all the veg with the garlic, rosemary and thyme, add the tomato purée and cook that out to get rid of the bitterness.
- Add the white wine and cook out until all of the liquid is evaporated, then add the chopped tomatoes and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stir in the beans and check seasoning.
- Add the cooked duck, sausage and pork belly, put into the serving dish, cover with breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees or until the dish is piping hot in the middle.
0191 389 8628