January 4, 2017
Charlotte Mitchell is one of just a handful of female butchers in the UK. She owns Charlotte’s Butchery on Ashburn Road in Gosforth, focusing on local, traceable produce. A keen cook and food blogger, Charlotte is also a regular on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch, and appeared in the adverts for Old El Paso’s Restaurante range. Try her simple yet mouth-watering slow-cooked Asian short ribs
3-4 beef short ribs
500ml soy sauce
200g dark brown sugar
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbspn olive or sesame oil
1 tbsp wine vinegar
500ml beef stock
2 portions of basmati rice
1 spring onion
Large handful of spinach
* Marinate the short ribs in the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, chilies and pepper for at least two hours (preferably overnight).
* After marinating, remove the ribs but reserve the marinade.
* Heat the oil in a pan and brown the ribs, making sure the meat is seared on all sides.
* Add wine vinegar, stock and the marinade to a slow cooker or casserole dish.
* Transfer the ribs from the pan and allow to cook for minimum of four hours or until the meat falls off the bone.
* Serve the ribs with basmati rice and garnish with spinach and fresh spring onion.