April 2, 2018
500g raw chick peas
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Juice of two lemons
3 large peeled garlic cloves
2 teaspoons salt
1 jar of tahini
Olive oil (optional)
· Soak chick peas in water to twice their depth and add one teaspoon of the bicarbonate. Leave overnight until they double in size.
· Rinse the soaked chick peas and cover with water. Add the second teaspoon of bicarbonate and boil until the chick peas soften. This will take one to two hours depending on quality of chick peas. Some scum will rise to the surface during the boiling which should be removed.
· Drain chick peas in a colander and let them cool.
· Place chick peas in a food processor with the garlic, lemon juice, one teaspoon of the salt and blend. While blending add some of the water slowly until the mixture becomes a paste.
· Add the tahini while the processor is still operating until it is all blended. The most important thing is to taste the hummus as you go along so that you can add more salt or lemon according to your taste.
· Keep blending until the hummus is smooth, adding a drizzle of olive oil to help the smoothness develop.
· The hummus will keep refrigerated for a couple of days.
0191 253 5550